Drobeta-Turnu Severin (Latin: Drobetae; Hungarian: Szörényvár, Szörénytornya; Bulgarian: Северин; Serbian: Дробета-Турн Северин) is a city in Mehedinţi County, Oltenia, Romania, on the left bank of the Danube, below the Iron Gates.
The city administers three villages: Dudaşu Schelei, Gura Văii, and Schela Cladovei. The population of Severin is 86,475 (2011) up from 18,628 in 1900.
Status: County capital
Mayor: Constantin Gherghe
Total area: 57.43 km2 (21.4 sq mi)
Population (2011): 86,475 habitants
Population density: 1,950/km2 (4,921/sq mi)
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
The modern town of Drobeta Turnu Severin has a relatively new history. It made its appearance on the map of Romania and on that of the world following General Pavel Kiseleff’s decree on the 22nd of April, 1833. The town got its name from the majestic remains of the Severin Fortress which used to look down the Danube and surrounding region at some ancient times. It was erected following a pre-established plan, with wide streets falling perpendicularly onto the Danube or running parallel to it.
The town of Drobeta Turnu Severin which is situated on the Danube and was engaged in commercial activities became one of the modern towns of Romania about the 1900s. Because it was born on the 22nd of April, very close to the religious feast of St. George’s (April 23), the inhabitants of the town chose St. George as the patron saint of the city.